Learn how these experts successfully sell access to their hard-gained knowledge
We live in the age of information, where anyone can create a product with just a few simple, cheap tools. Launching your own blog, podcast, YouTube show, online course, or ebook is easier than ever. All you need is a passion for something and the drive to make it happen.
There is a name for this new type of business owner: infopreneur. Infopreneurs are people who build online businesses just by selling information online. No physical products involved.
In this article, I’m sharing four incredible case studies of people that built a successful online business just by selling their knowledge. But even if you have no intention to become an infopreneur, you might find some marketing strategy gold to use in your own business.
1. Amy Porterfield
“I teach business owners, educators and entrepreneurs the profitable action steps for building a highly engaged email list, creating online training courses, and using online marketing strategies to sell with ease.” — Amy Porterfield
Amy is an online marketing expert and host of the top-rated Online Marketing Made Easy Podcast. Before starting her own business, she worked for Tony Robbins, where she managed the content team and online marketing
campaigns. Over the past few years, she has grown a multimillion-dollar business with her online programs. In her online courses that cost $1,000 upwards each, she teaches her students how to build a profitable email list and monetize their knowledge through online courses.
- Niche: online marketing
- Target group: entrepreneurs & educators
- Products & services: online programs ($1,000 — $2,000 each)
- Customer acquisition: podcast, email marketing, FB ads
Strategy Best Practices from Amy
- Create consistent content. Amy has been publishing one new podcast episode every week since 2013. She likes to batch her content creation by recording all the episodes for a month in one day. Through her consistent content creation and focus on one format only, she was able to build a loyal tribe of followers that are ready to buy when she launches her courses.
- Combine Facebook ads and live webinars. Amy launches each of her online programs, 1–2 per year, with a live launch strategy. She uses Facebook ads to promote her webinar, and in the webinar, she introduces her online program. With this launch strategy, she’s able to build up a buzz among her audience and create scarcity around her online programs (once the doors to the course are closed, students need to wait 6 months or longer for the next launch).
2. Matt Sandrini
“Achieve more by doing less.” — Matt Sandrini
Matt Sandrini is a Productivity Expert who helps business owners achieve more in less time, focus on what really matters, and scale their business fast. Starting out with his blog, Timezillionaire, he quickly took on private coaching clients (some of the UK’s most successful entrepreneurs) and created a passive income stream with online courses. In 2019, he published his first book “Invest your Time” which was an instant Amazon bestseller. Matt is a great example of an infopreneur who takes his expertise in one area and monetizes it through different formats (private coaching, online courses, books, and workshops).
- Niche: productivity
- Target group: business owners
- Products & services: private coaching, books, workshops, courses
- Customer acquisition: blog, email marketing, LinkedIn
Strategy Best Practices from Matt
- Use Teachable to create your own online courses and sell them to your email list. That way, you have full control over the price (contrary to selling your course on platforms like Udemy or Skillshare). Matt kept it super simple with his online course “Own Your Week.” The course is just 4 modules, each with a couple of 5 – 8 min direct to camera videos (no fancy video equipment or editing involved.). A workbook, quizzes, and exercises enhance the learning experience.
- Use a free email course as a lead magnet to get your audience on your email list. Matt offers a free 1-week email course about getting more done in 24 hours. That’s a great way to introduce your audience to your topic, offer tons of value, and pitch your information product at the end of the course (Matt pitches his online course “Own Your Week.”).
3. Kathrin Zenkina
“There is so much more out there for you, you’ve barely scratched the surface. It’s time to manifest a reality wilder than your wildest dreams.” — Kathrin Zenkina
Kathrin Zenkina is a master mindset and manifestation coach, the host of the Manifestation Babe podcast (over 650,000 downloads), #1 Amazon best-selling author, speaker, and self-made multimillionaire. Her passion is helping people from all walks of life manifest a life beyond their wildest dreams using the Law of Attraction. First, she transformed her own life with the mindset and manifesting tricks she learned in books and seminars, now she helps others do the same with her online programs like “Manifestation Babe Academy” and “Rich Babe Academy,” as well as her VIP private coaching, two books, and a yearly retreat in Bali.
- Niche: mindset & Law of Attraction
- Target group: women
- Products & services: online programs, retreats, books
- Customer acquisition: podcast, Instagram
Strategy Best Practices from Kathrin
- Create a business out of something you are obsessed with. Whatever it is that you do in your free time, that you read tons of books about, that you can’t stop talking about, take a closer look. Your obsession can become profitable. If you’re obsessed with something, other people might be too and you can sell your knowledge to them. In her story on her website, Kathrin writes how she spent years reading every Law of Attraction and personal development book out there and is now teaching all she has studied mixed in with her personal experience.
- Use Instagram to Grow your Audience. Kathrin has used Instagram from the very start and now has over 120K followers. She uses the platform to share value with her audience every single day in her posts and stories and promotes her programs. She also shares a behind-the-scenes look at the daily life of a successful online business owner who lives what she preaches in her manifestation courses.
4. Madeleine Shaw
“My food philosophy is all about enlivening the hottest, happiest and healthiest you. It’s about keeping things simple and delicious so you don’t feel bored or deprived. I believe that with every bit of food we eat, we are influencing how we look, feel and think. This is why I think healthy eating should be a way of life, not just a fad or phase.” — Madeleine Shaw
Madeleine Shaw teaches people how to “get their glow back” by eating well, moving more, and calming down. As a teenager, Madeleine struggled with bad skin, fatigue, and was constantly dieting. But when she started to eat whole foods, she fell in love with her life again. After transforming her own life, she went on to study nutrition and coach people to eat well. Today, she has a thriving blog, multiple cookbooks, and healthy living guides on her website.
- Niche: health & fitness
- Target group: young women
- Products: cookbooks, healthy living guides, brand partnerships
- Customer acquisition: blog, email marketing, podcast, Instagram
Strategy Best Practices from Madeleine
- Create a business out of a struggle you’ve overcome yourself. If you have a certain problem, chances are, other people have that problem too (and they are craving a solution). Madeleine turned her own health struggles into a thriving business by getting certified as a nutritionist and starting a blog.
- Work with brands to create an additional income stream. Madeleine regularly works with brands like Origins and promotes its products to her audience. Brands are always on the lookout for (micro-)influencers that give them access to their target group. You don’t need to be as big as Madeleine to start making money through brand partnerships, all you need is an engaged niche audience.
Liz Huber is a Mindset & Productivity Coach and Founder of refinedlife.io. With her books, courses, and 1-on-1 work, she helps entrepreneurs overcome overwhelm, lack of focus, fear, and self-doubt. As a result, her clients are able to confidently achieve their goals by prioritizing what is truly important and streamlining everything else.